Research, development and adoption
- Providing recommendations on research and development issues within the grassfed beef industry, with a focus on:
- Improving production efficiency on-farm and relevant off-farm.
- Improving the delivery of research to industry and ensuring adoption programs are an integral component of the research and development (R&D) pipeline.
- Improving live export productivity.
- Providing strategic direction and oversight of MLA Research and Development programs that involve grassfed levy expenditure.
Focus and Activities
The role of the Policy Council and the Research, Development and Adoption Working Groups is to provide policy advice to Cattle Council Board and strategic direction and oversight of Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) research and development. The committee is focused on:
- Increasing productivity growth and profitability with a focus on market-driven and compliant products.
- The adoption of innovative practices that increase the number of profitable enterprises across the industry. Ensuring enterprise and industry efficiency, and profitability are key drivers to R&D investment.
- Improving the delivery of research to industry by using tools (i.e. value-based payments) that incentivise higher performance against objectively-measured, market-driven criteria.
- Improving business skills in the production sector.
- Enhancing investment in R&D through fostering improved research capacity and strategic investment.
The Policy Council and Working Groups meet regularly via teleconference and four times per year in person.